Grace Lutheran Evangelical Church: Our Story

Grace Lutheran Church was formally organized in 1942​ under The Rev. Forest Friese.  Charter members included Mr and Mrs J.J. Appel, John Barringer, Mr and Mrs A.W. Holler, Mr and Mrs Howard Davis, Mrs Helen Roll, and Mrs Florence Grossman.

 

They held services in a storefront on Hillsborough Road until the chapel was built at Buchanan and Green Streets. The first service in the chapel occurred on June 29, 1947, over 75 years ago.

As early as 1937, the J.J. Appel family held services in their home. Later, a house was rented on Englewood Avenue and space was used at the Music Hall and Library of Duke University. The new sanctuary was dedicated in 1989.  The original chapel is now Fellowship Hall. ​

Pastor Gehrk with Choir
Pastor Gehrk with Choir

press to zoom
Pastor Brohn
Pastor Brohn

press to zoom
Pastor Schoenborn
Pastor Schoenborn

press to zoom
Pastor Gehrk with Choir
Pastor Gehrk with Choir

press to zoom
1/5

The following Pastors have served at Grace during its 75-year history:

  • Rev. Robert Friese (1942-1946)

  • Rev. Paul Gibbert (1946-1950)

  • Rev. Donald Reinbolt (1951-1958)

  • Rev. Schoenborn (1959-1962)

  • Rev. Dr. Scharleman (1962-1963)

  • Rev. Brohn (1964-1967)

  • Dr. Frederick L. Neebe (1968-1971)

  • Rev. D. Paul Nelson (1971-1990)

  • Rev. James Knuth (1991-2007)

  • Rev. Joseph Dzugan - Associate Pastor (1998-2001)

  • Rev. Bryan Chestnutt - Associate Pastor (2003-2007)

    • Senior Pastor - (2007-August 2018)​

  • Rev. Dr. David H. Brooks (August 2019-​Present)

Click photo to view slideshow.